Tuesday, March 3, 2015

I Love Kombucha (and why you will too)!


I remember my first experience with Kombucha a decade ago.  Kind of like your first beer, you have a hard time determining just what you think about it: is it too tart, too sweet, too fizzy, too acidic? But then you realize it's the perfect combination of all those things, and you wonder why you haven't known about it years earlier.  The 2-for-1 sales on 'booch became my best friend, and I'd pack my refrigerator full every chance I got.  I've been addicted ever since.

What is Kombucha? It's a fermented tea that been revered as an "elixir of life" for 3000 years.  It helps your immune and digestive systems, detoxifies, and gives you energy.  This I can personally vouch for!  Plus it's full of probiotics, amino acids, B vitamins and more.  (And did I mention it's the best hangover remedy out there? You're welcome.)

Lucky for those of us in Sarasota, we have an amazing local brand: Kombucha 221BC.  Aneta + Eric make some of the most creative 'booch flavors I've had.  (Lemon Lime Cayenne might even beat out Ginger for my absolute favorite.)  They've been a great friend to Wild Ginger Apothecary, and we've been proud to sample their delicious tea at both our Grand Opening as well as our monthly First Friday Gulf Gate parties.  Stop by and see us for a Kombucha Cocktail: they are really fantastic! They are available to buy throughout town and at our favorite neighbor, CROP Juice.(More on their fabulous juices soon!)



Drinking so much 'booch you want to venture making your own? I've got the answer for you for that, too.  I postponed brewing my own for years because I thought it'd be impossible to get a Scoby.  When I came across this super-easy Kombucha Starter Kit, it was the perfect solution.  Easy to follow directions and less than $1 a serving for your first batch: well worth trying it!  We have numerous herbal teas you can infuse your batch with at Wild Ginger Apothecary; one personal favorite was the Evening Spa for a calming, lavender flavored tea.  I have to admit, though, original black tea is my go-to.  It's a crowd favorite with it's cider-like finish. 

If you're looking for an energizing and refreshing beverage that's far healthier than soda, give Kombucha a try!  You can impress your friends with what Scoby means (Symbiotic Colony of Bacteria and Yeast) and feel good about indulging.  Cheers!

Available online at www.wildgingerapothecary.com or in-store at 6557 Superior Avenue in the Gulf Gate Shopping Village.  Store hours are 10am-6pm, Tuesday-Saturday.  Feel free to email or call anytime at 941.312.5630.  ENJOY! 

No comments:

Post a Comment